Howdy! I’m Neil, and I hail from the ‘infant Hercules’ town of Middlesbrough, as described by William Ewart Gladstone when he visited the town in 1846. I am a Belfast-based web designer and front-end developer. I also shamelessly support The Boro and love a cuppa tea.
I love simple and functional designs and believe the web is a much happier place when websites deliver messages straight to the point, this is something I strive to do in all my designs.
But don’t worry, functional ≠ boring. Clear frameworks challenge how creative we can be and push us to develop each site’s own character. (My background is in the performing arts, so the need to stand out is something deeply ingrained in me. Just take a look at my headshot.)
How it Works
- The majority of my work is done remotely from my flat in Belfast, but I like to meet clients in-person whenever possible during the crucial beginning and ending phases of a project.
- Skype chats and email are how I conduct regular communication for reviewing work, obtaining feedback and planning next steps.
- If collaborating with other people (ie back-end developers), I am more than happy to travel to your office as needed (within reason of course).
- Typical days are 9-5, M-F day. As long as I have access to a tea kettle, I’m happy to work not-so-typical hours if clients are in a pinch or under a time crunch.
Skills & Things I Can Do for Yee
Design Theory & Principles
- Page layout and information architecture
- User experience
- Web fonts
- Design Theory
- Colour theory
Web Design & Development
- Responsive web design
- HTML, HTML5
- Web fonts
- Icon and icon set design
- Vector illustration
Print and Production
- Print (posters, postcards, flyers, e-flyers)
- Video editing
- Photography and image touch-up